Bibliometry 101Searching Scopus, a multidisciplinary database representative of the publications in science in the world, we observe an increasing number of articles with storytell* in a selection of search fields: for example in Title and Keywords. Finally, we compare with two other terms: a common term like analysis and a top-fashion term like machine learning.
Two recent articles
« Telling stories: more sex and better cooperation »
- Anthropology survey of Agta hunter-gatherers tribes in Philippines:
- Smith, Daniel, Philip Schlaepfer, Katie Major, Mark Dyble, Abigail E. Page, James Thompson, Nikhil Chaudhary et al. « Cooperation and the Evolution of Hunter-Gatherer Storytelling ». Nature Communications 8, no 1 (5 décembre 2017), no. 1853. doi:10.1038/s41467-017-02036-8. [open access]
- The evidences lead to correlations allowing to claim :
- Good storytellers have more kids and receive more ressources ;
- elder individuals are significantly more skilled storytellers ;
- women are slightly better storytellers than men ;
- Telling stories in group reinforce values of these stories, mainly cooperation, and social and sex equality.
« Reading stories: coded in our brain deeper than language »
- A neuroscience study : Dehghani, Morteza, Reihane Boghrati, Kingson Man, Joe Hoover, Sarah I. Gimbel, Ashish Vaswani, Jason D. Zevin et al. « Decoding the Neural Representation of Story Meanings across Languages ». Human Brain Mapping 38, no 12 (1 décembre 2017), 6096‑6106. doi:10.1002/hbm.23814.
- Human brain is universally structured in the same way to be able to understand stories whatever the language or the culture.
- MRI scan of readers brains in 3 languages (english, chinese and farsi) : the researchers can determine which stories which brain in reading.
- It takes place in the default mode network, known for « searching for narratives, retrieving autobiographical memories, and influencing the way we think relating to the past, present, and future, and our relationships with others.» s
- Stories help us making sense of the world we live in.